Windows Defender often blocks different useful application and consider them harmful. Windows Defender blocks many applications that are not harmful when you allow an application to run on Windows 10, it adds the app to the whitelist.
Removing an application from Windows Defender
Windows Defender does not provide any specific window to deal with the whitelist applications. But the users need to go through the Control Panel and remove applications from the Windows Defender. There are a few simple steps to go through which are as follows:
- Open System and Security from Control Panel
- Click Windows Defender Firewall
- Click Allow an App through Firewall
- From the next screen, click on Change Settings
- Find the list of Allowed applications
- Choose the application you want to remove from Windows Defender
- Click on the Remove Button from the bottom of the list to remove allowed application
In case the file is not present in the list, then use Command Prompt to remove the application from the Windows Defender. Running the command with the application along with the Path to the app executable.
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="app name" dir=in action=block program="path-to-app EXE" enable=yes
Similarly in case you want to remove Google Chrome:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Chrome" dir=in action=block program="C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\Chrome.exe" enable=yes
All it requires is to open Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges. It is also very easy to add back the files to the Windows Defender whitelist.