Another day with another fix for your technology/gadgets related issues. Laptop and desktop users use functions keys on a daily basis. However, Laptops have an Fn key which is used to activate function keys (F1, F2..F9). Users with different laptop manufacturers face this same issue where function keys don’t work on the laptop. This issue may cause users frustration and delay in work.
Do not panic! We’re here to help you solve any tech-related issue. In this guide, we will explain how you can fix your function key the easy way.
You may want to read: How to Fix Unresponsive Taskbar in Windows Operating System
List of Laptop Manufacturer that faces Fn Key problem the most
Fix for Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10
Function keys are of so much use. One can increase or decrease Volume/Brightness of the screen using function keys or open Help Center by pressing the F1 key. But when these keys stop working you run to find a solution for it. Follow this guide to quickly and easily fix this issue.
Solution 1: Run Hardware Troubleshoot
You might have updated your Windows and after that, your laptops function keys have stopped working. Updates sometimes break things for your laptop than improving. Run Hardware troubleshooter. This will fix all the hardware related issues prevailing in your personal computer.
How to Access Troubleshoot Menu in Windows 10
Here’s how you can run the troubleshooter:
- Press Windows + I key to open the Windows Settings
- Select Updates & Security from Windows Settings
- On the left panel, you will find a Troubleshoot option, select it.
- On the right panel of Troubleshoot settings, Click on Hardware and Devices to expand it and click on “Run the Troubleshooter” OR if you’re running the latest version of Windows 10, click on “Keyboard” Under the heading Find and fix other problems and run the troubleshooter.
Check the Function Keys after the procedure is completed.
Solution 2: Update the Laptop’s Driver
Sometimes the expiry of certain drivers may cause the function keys to stop working. It may occur when you upgrade your Windows Operating System to Windows 10. Download the system drivers from the official laptop manufacturer site or from an alternate website or download Driver Talent Pro Free
Solution 3: Disable Filter Keys
Filter keys feature in Windows 10 is made to block repeated keystrokes. This feature might have blocked the function keys which is not very likely to happen but you can try blocking it to check if the function keys work.
Disable the Function keys by the given way:
- Go to Control Panel by Searching from the Search bar on Taskbar
- Open Ease of Access
- Select Make the keyboard easier to use option.
- Scroll Down and find Filter Keys option. Uncheck the Turn on filter key option
- Click on Apply and OK afterward.
Solution 4: Uninstall Synaptic Pointing Device driver
Your laptops default drivers may come to conflict with the Windows 10 drivers which could be the reason for Function Keys not working. Try uninstalling the Synaptic drivers:
- Go to Control Panel
- Click on Programs
- From Programs and Features, click on Uninstall a program
- Uninstall the Synaptic Pointing Device Drivers
Solution 5: Reset The PC
If none of the above-mentioned fixes work for your Personal Computer, try resetting your PC. It will not only solve your keyboard issues but other prevailing issues within the system too.
How to perform System Restore in Windows 10
In order to reset your PC, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Windows Settings
- Select Updates & Security
- From the left panel, select the recovery option
- On the right panel under the Reset, this PC heading, select Get Started
- Choose, either one option from the given options
Once the Resetting is done, all the issues prevailing in Windows 10 would be fixed.
Hope this guide has helped you solve the Function Keys issue. For more guides and fixes, keep visiting Askcaty.com
Related: Quick Solution to Resolve Windows Activation Error in Windows 10