Instagram username and display name are two distinctive things. The display name is the one that shows on your profile under the display picture and it doesn’t need to be unique. Whereas, Instagram handle or username is the uncommon name that other Instagram users use to look up for your account. Username is made up of letters, periods, numbers, or underscore. You cannot use special characters while creating your Instagram handle.
Fortunately, Instagram let the users change both handle and display name anytime and as often as they want. In this guide, we will show you how to change Instagram handle and display name through the Instagram mobile app.
Changing Instagram Username and Display name
Follow the guide to learn how to do it:
- Launch the Instagram app in your device by using the search feature or by manually finding the app and tapping on its icon.
- Log-in to your already existing Instagram account. Go to the profile tab on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on the “Edit Profile” button under the account name.
- Next, tap on the text box next to the “Name” option and remove the already existing one and type a new display name for your account.
- After typing the new name, tap on “Done” on the top-right corner of the screen.
The display name on your profile will be changed.
RELATED: How to Mute an Instagram User
The below-mentioned method is to change the account’s username:
- Under the “Name” option, you’ll find the “Username” text box. Tap on it to change the username.
- Remove the already existing username and type a new one. Keep in mind that you cannot adopt a username that’s already taken by another user. Your username should be unique that’s available otherwise it will tell you that the username isn’t available, please try another.
- After you have carefully chosen your username, tap on the “Done” button on the top-right corner of the screen.
The new username will be displayed on the top-middle of your Instagram profile. You can switch back to the previous username within 14 days. Instagram will hold it for you in-case you change your mind, but after 14 days you cannot switch back if someone else has claimed your old username.
ALSO, READ: How to Disable or Delete Your Instagram Account