Dark mode transforms the appearance of built-in apps like Safari, Finder, Photos, and Music to Dark grey. This feature is available macOS version 10.14 and later, macOS Mojave, and macOS Catalina. Apps installed on MacBook that support Dark Mode will automatically update to Dark Mode.
Also, learn How to Enable Dark Mode in iOS 13
Older versions of macOS only turned the Dock and menu bar dark. The system-wide Dark mode for macOS was introduced with the release of macOS Mojave.
Below mentioned is the list of Macs which support Dark theme:
- MacBook models introduced in early 2015 or later
- MacBook Air models introduced in mid-2012 or later
- MacBook Pro models introduced in mid-2012 or later
- Mac mini models introduced in late 2012 or later
- iMac models introduced in late 2012 or later
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro models introduced in 2013 or later
In this guide, we will teach you how to activate Dark Mode on macOS Catalina in MacBook Pro.
Enabling Dark Theme on macOS Catalina
Here’s how to change the macOS theme to Dark:
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of the screen and select the “System Preferences” option from the drop-down list.
- Now select “General” from the System Preferences window.
- Three appearances are available on macOS Catalina which includes; Light, Dark and Auto.
Light and Dark mode activates manually whereas, Auto mode switch between Dark or Light mode with the time of the day.