What is a MAC Address
Before talking about MAC let us make this clear that this MAC has nothing to do with the Apple Macintosh. Media Access Control is a unique address assigned to the device on a network. MAC addresses are made up of six two-digit hexadecimal numbers, separated by colons. It is used so that each device connected to the network can distinct from other device connected to the same network.
Why Would You Need To Change Your MAC Address
MAC Address that is a twelve digit unique code plays an important role in browsing the internet. If someone has the MAC Address of your device, they can track your online activities. This is a threat to your personal security. In this era, security is something very fragile as people have access to the ways where they can hack other people’s account and steal from them. It is very important to maintain the security of your device.
No one would want their device to be hacked or misused. Therefore, we are here to help you maintain the security of your device. To do so you need to follow the below-mentioned instructions.
How to Check your Android Device MAC Address
You can check your device’s MAC Address by following the steps given below:
- Go to Settings in your Android device, scroll down to see About Phone option in the settings menu.
- Now you can see a list of Android features, scroll down the menu and tap on Status
- In the Status menu, you will find Wi-Fi MAC Address.
Copy the MAC Address before changing it with the new one in-case you need to use it after updating.
How to Change your Device’s MAC Address without Root
Before continuing this further, we must make this clear to the viewers that this procedure will only last your new MAC Address until you’ll restart your device. As soon as you will restart your device, the device will restore the previous MAC Address of your phone.
To change the MAC Address of your Android device, you’ll need a third party App.
- Go to Play Store and type Terminal Emulator for Android in the search bar, from the search result download the Terminal Emulator for Android App.
- Run the App and type the command “IP link show”
- Now you can see the name of your network interface.
- Type the next command “ip link set (type the interface name here) XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY”. You have to type the new MAC Address that you want instead of XX:XX:XX:YY:YY:YY
Your MAC Address will be temporarily changed. Hope this article has helped you change your MAC Address. Give us your feedback by commenting below and suggesting to us what do you want to see more.