Storage Sense is the built-in feature on Windows 10 that lets the users assign the operating system to delete files in a recycle bin when they are stranded there for a certain amount of time, i.e. days, weeks, or months. This can help save disk space by deleting the unnecessary data resting in Recycle Bin.
RELATED: How to Disable Windows Key on Windows 10
In this guide, we will show you how to empty you recycle bin on a schedule on Windows 10.
Emptying Recycle Bin on Schedule Using Storage Sense Feature
To assign Windows 10 to empty recycle-bin after a certain amount of time, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Windows Settings from the Start menu or by searching through the Search tab on the taskbar. Or use the keyboard shortcut “Windows + I” to open Windows Settings.
- Select “System” from Windows Settings.
- From the left-hand pane of System Settings, click on “Storage”.
- Now, click on the sliding switch under the “Storage” heading to turn it “On”. Then click on the “Configure Storage Sense or run it now” link given under the switch.
- Choose the frequency to run “Storage Sense”. Click on the drop-down menu under the “Run Storage Sense” label. Set it to “every day, week, or month” depending on what works best for you.
- Un-check the box beside “Delete temporary files that my apps aren’t using” if you don’t want Storage Sense to be removing old temporary files.
- Next, click on the drop-down box labeled as “Delete files in my recycle bin if they have been there for over:” and choose the duration of time from the given options; “Never, 1 Day, 14 days, 30 days, or 60 Days”.
- If you don’t want the Storage Sense to delete the files from your downloads folder. Use the drop-down menu labeled as “Delete files in my Downloads folder if they haven’t been opened for more than:” and set it to “Never”.
Storage Sense is all set to remove deleted files from the recycle bin after the time assigned to it. If you ever change your mind about the frequency assigned to Storage Sense or disable the feature altogether, go to Settings and turn the Storage Sense switch “Off”.