System Tray Icons
System Tray is a portion dedicated for certain type of system icons like Internet Connection, Volume level or system battery, etc You can find these icons on the right side of the taskbar. Since Windows 10 is user-friendly, it lets users add any icons they want to the system tray. Some apps run entirely on System tray while just some show the icon that the program is running.
There’s limited space on System tray, therefore, some of the icons are sent to the overflow menu. If you want any of the icon to permanently show on your taskbar system tray, you can do it by dragging it and placing it out.
How to Personalize System Tray Icons in Windows 10
By default, system tray icons move to the overflowing menu because of the limited space but you can customize it according to your need. In order to personalize the system tray icon follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to Settings in your System either from Start menu or from Notification quick access icons.
- Choose Personalization from the Settings Windows
- Select Taskbar from the left panel of personalization window
- Scroll down the right panel, from under the Notification area heading select the “Select which icons appear on the taskbar” option
- Now you’ll find system icons along with a toggle bar, you can toggle on the icons you want to be shown on the System Tray and un-toggle that you don’t want to be shown.
Personalizing system tray would also affect other newly installed programs and the overflowing menu will be gone. All the icons will appear on the taskbar and new icons will be added next to the already existing ones. This does not look really appealing for someone who is fond of keeping things in order and properly as this will create a huge mess on the taskbar. More space will be consumed by the System Tray icons but you can trim the unnecessary icons by hiding them from the system tray altogether. In the list of apps, turn the switch off next to an app that you don’t want in the system tray. All your icons will still be present but the ones you don’t need will not be hidden in the overflow menu.